Paying & Tipping付款與小費
聆聽課程
0:00
0:00
#1
Hey, David. I just moved here and I'm completely in the dark about local tipping customs.
嘿,大衛。我剛搬到這裡,對當地的打賞習俗完全一無所知。
#2
Welcome to the city! You've come to the right person—I field questions like this daily.
歡迎來到這座城市!你找對人了——我每天都會處理這類問題。
#3
So here's the thing—I had dinner last night and the bill came to about ninety dollars.
事情是這樣的——我昨晚去吃晚餐,帳單大約是九十美元。
#4
I left fifteen percent, but the waiter gave me a look that suggested it was insufficient.
我留了百分之十五的小費,但服務生的眼神暗示這並不足夠。
#5
Ah, that's a classic pitfall. The customary tip here hovers around eighteen to twenty percent for sit-down restaurants.
啊,那是個典型的陷阱。這裡慣例的小費大約落在內用餐廳消費額的百分之十八到二十之間。
#6
That's steeper than what I'm used to. And what if I'm dining with friends and we want to split the bill?
那比我習慣的還要貴。而且如果我和朋友一起用餐,而我們想要分開結帳呢?
#7
Most places will split it across multiple credit cards without batting an eye.
大多數地方都會毫不猶豫地讓你們用多張信用卡分開結帳。
#8
Just let the server know upfront—it spares everyone the awkwardness of sorting it out afterward.
只要事先告知服務生——這能讓每個人都免於事後處理帳單的尷尬。
#9
Good to know. One more thing—should I tip on the pre-tax amount or the total including tax?
很有用的資訊。還有一件事——我應該按稅前金額還是含稅總額來給小費?
#10
Technically, tipping on the pre-tax subtotal is perfectly acceptable and, frankly, more defensible.
從技術層面來說,以稅前小計金額來給小費是完全可以接受的,而且坦白說,也更站得住腳。
#11
But generous diners often just round up the post-tax total and calculate from there.
但慷慨的食客通常只是將稅後總額無條件進位,並以此為基準進行計算。
#12
That actually demystifies the whole process. I was overthinking it, wasn't I?
這實際上揭開了整個過程的神秘面紗。我之前想太多了,對吧?
#13
Not at all—navigating gratuity etiquette in a new culture is genuinely bewildering at first.
一點也不——在新的文化中摸索小費禮儀,起初確實會令人感到困惑。
#14
The cardinal rule is simply this: when in doubt, err on the side of generosity.
首要原則就是:當你感到不確定時,寧可選擇慷慨一些。
#15
Wise words. I'll put that into practice tonight. Thanks a million, David.
很有智慧的話。我今晚會付諸實踐。萬分感謝,大衛。